- PHS Modern Languages Department
- Modern Language Faculty
Modern Language Faculty
To contact any of our faculty by phone, please dial (314)213-8000, followed by their 4-digit extension.
Mr. Nathan Bachelder (Department Head) • EXT 8413
Mr. Steven Shaw • EXT 8404
Frau Stephanie Frerker (click here for web page ) • EXT 8408
Ms Anne Marie Coreggia (click here for web page) • EXT 8412
Ms Judith Chabot (click here for web page) • EXT 8708
- EMAIL Modern Language Faculty
EMAIL Modern Language Faculty
- Courses and College Credit
Courses and College Credit
We offer levels 1 - 5 for each of the languages, as enrollment permits.
Students may opt to take levels 3, 4, & 5 for college credit, through the University of Missouri's ACP program. Students pay a fee equivalent to about one third of the cost of taking the course on UMSL's campus, and receive five credits for levels 3 and 4, and three credits for level 5. The fee for the 2013-14 school year is $60/credit hour ($300 for the 5-credit classes; $180 for the 3-credit classes.) Spanish 5 is also offered for AP credit.
Scholarship: UMSL also offers ACP students the opportunity to apply for a $3,000 per year stackable and renewable scholarship to attend UMSL after high school. See link below for "UMSL ACP Scholarship for College Years". This scholarship (called "UMSL-Bound Scholarship") is only available to students who have taken at least one high school course for college credit, and only for attending UMSL.
YOUR ID CARD: If you have already enrolled, you can download the document at the bottom of this page for information on how to exchange your temporary UMSL ID card for a "REAL" UMSL ID card.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions): Attached below is a downloadable FAQ document for the French classes (though the information is roughly the same for German and Spanish).
Registration: Students must register online. Access to the registration site is available through the first link below. Students will need their social security number (or previous UMSL student number), Acrobat Reader, and a printer.
Pierre Laclede Honors College: Students should be aware that on the UMSL campus, there is also a small honors-college program, known as the Pierre Laclede Honors College. This college is a school-within-a-school, meant for high-achieving students. The classes are usually smaller than those that are part of the general UMSL campus. Additional scholarships for all qualified applicants are available (in addition to the "College Years Scholarship"), and housing is also available for the Pierre Laclede Honors College. For more information, click here .
PLEASE NOTE: Each year, an "Honors Day" open house is held at the Pierre Laclede Honors College campus. The event is usually held at the Provinicial House Building ( directions here ). To attend, reserve your spot by calling (314) 516-7769 OR email at firstname.lastname@example.org.Check back here later in the school year for more information.
- UMSL ACP college credit program
- Pierre Laclede Honors College
- UMSL Campus Maps
- UMSL Transcript Request Transcripts cost $5 each.(NOTE:Remember that if you are requesting a transcript at the end of your senior year of high school, that year's UMSL/PHS grade will not yet have been sent in to UMSL... so, you must write on your transcript request form, "Hold until grades are posted for 2010-11" so that your transcipt will include this school year's grade [unless your UMSL course was from a previous year].) You may also now request a transcript ONLINE by clicking HERE.-- However, you would need a special ID number and password, and that would have been something that you set up previously, so you probably can't do it that way.)
Grade reports: If you wish to have your grade report MAILED by postal mail, call UMSL Records at 314-516-5676. Otherwise, you may see your grade via your online MyViewaccount.
- UMSL ACP Scholarship for College Years (UMSL-Bound Scholarship)
- Helpful Online Resources for our Students
Helpful Online Resources for our Students
Helpful Resources for Our Students
• French/Spanish/German / English Online Dictionary (WordReference.com)
• Realia for Many languages (Realia = authentic examples of language usage, like train tickets, menus, etc.) - from Jennifer Wagner's IELanguages.com
• Tutorials for French, German, Spanish- including authentic-usage videos and mp3 (more from Jennifer Wagner's IELanguages.com)English Language Usage
• MLA and APA format for citations (includes links to both MLA and APA and other grammar and writing help -- from The University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign Writing Center)
• Purdue University's OWL Writing Center (help with all aspects of the writing process, including grammar and punctuation)
Digital Storytelling and Presentations
• Sources for Digital Storytelling and Presentations (from Catherine Ousselin's website)
Our Textbooks Online
• Discovering French! Nouveau and Discovering French -Today! (<-- student access for online book) • Information about the Discovering French Today series